Fast facts


What is the Ubon Ratchathani University’s contact information?

Address : 85 Sathonlamark Road, Warin Chamrap, Ubon Ratchathani 34190, Ubon Ratchathani University, Thailand

Phone : +66 45 353052

Fax : +66 45 288394

E-mail :

What courses are offered at Ubon Ratchathani University (UBU)?

UBU offers a range of undergraduate and post-graduate programs in its 10 faculties, 1 college, and Mukdahan Campus.


  1. Faculty of Agriculture
  2. Faculty of Applied Arts and Design
  3. Faculty of Engineering
  4. Faculty of Science
  5. Mukdahan Campus


  1. College of Medicine and Public Health
  2. Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences
  3. Faculty of Nursing


  1. Faculty of Liberal Arts
  2. Faculty of Law
  3. Faculty of Management Science
  4. Faculty of Political Science

What are the tuition fees and are there any scholarships?

Tuition fees vary. There are some scholarships available for international students, especially those students from neighboring countries. For more details, contact the appropriate faculty directly or the Office of International Relations or click here.

What are the term dates and other key University dates?

UBU mainly operates on a two-semester program. From 2014, semester 1 is from the beginning of August to the end of November and Semester 2 is from January to June. A summer semester from June to July is also offered in some selected courses presented in intensive mode.

Key University dates

Time Detail
January  to February Online Application for International Admission (Non-Thai students)
March Interview and/or written examination (if any)
April Announcement of student acceptance to the program(s)
April Student’s confirmation of his/her choice
May Certificate of admission being issued and sent to the applicants via email.

How to Apply?

Step one – Choose Your Program

There are more than 60 undergraduate and graduate programs at Ubon Ratchathani University (UBU). Choose one program that you are interested in applying for.

Step two – Submit Application Form

Check the admission information and complete the online application form. Paper applications are also accepted – these can be downloaded from the UBU website

Step Three – Selection process

The university will review your application. There are 3 main areas that are considered – standardized test results, your attitude and performance, and physical examination. In addition, work experience for graduate level candidates may be requested.

Some programs will accept applications directly as they set their own specific rules and requirements for admission according to their programs.

This process may take up to 3 weeks to review the information that you provide.


Step Four – Waiting for an announcement/response

Email or telephone confirmation or otherwise will be sent approximately 2 weeks after your application is received. You will be notified if other documents are required. Email or telephone confirmation will be followed by an official letter and the necessary visa supporting documents after you pay a student confirmation fee.


Step Five – Applying for a Student Visa

You can apply for your student visa at a Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in your country. You must include the official letter of acceptance mentioned in Step Four above, a photocopy of your passport (which must be valid for at least a further 6 months), recent passport-size photographs, and other required documents. The embassy or consulate should grant you a non-immigrant: education class or Non-ED (type of visa for study purposes).

For more details about visa application, please visit

Contact Office: International Relations Office, UBU (


Step Six – On arrival

On arrival, you should go to the Office of International Relations (IR) on the 3rd floor of the Office of the President. Alternatively, the university can provide an airport pick-up upon request. IR staff will assist you to settle in and other matters, such as currency exchange, opening a bank account, orientation program, and where you should go for your enrollment session.

All international students are expected to participate in the university’s orientation program which usually occurs at least two weeks before classes begin. This program has been specifically designed for newly-arrived international students and includes general information about enrollment, visa management, campus facilities, public transport, shopping, recreational activities, and social functions.


Step Seven – Arranging accommodation

The university strongly suggests that you stay in UBU Dormitory (on-campus) or our network accommodation (off-campus) for your convenience. You need to make a reservation before arrival.


Step Eight – Enrollment

According to the university’s rules, all new students have to enroll to confirm that they will study at UBU. This procedure is administered by the Registrar’s Office. You can get more information on orientation day.

How to apply for a Visa?

As a general rule, any foreigner seeking entry into the Kingdom of Thailand for business, investment, study, medical treatment, mass media, religion, employment and other purposes is required to apply for a visa.

Ubon Ratchathani University will issue a letter of admission and a letter of introduction for the international student to apply for a visa category ‘ED’ at the Embassy of Thailand in his/her home country. A non-immigrant “ED” visa must be obtained before students leave their home country. Students should hold a visa category ‘ED’ before entering the Kingdom of Thailand.

Information on the location and the contact number of Thai Embassies and Consulates-General abroad can be obtained from the Visas and Travel Documents Division, the Department of Consular Affairs, The Ministry of Foreign Affairs at 123 Chaengwattana Road, Bangkok 10210, Tel. 0-2981-7171 ext. 3201-2, 3204-5 or direct line 0-2575-1062-4, Fax. 0-2575-1066, E-mail:, Website:

What type is my visa?

Non-Immigrant Visa: is the only visa for foreigners temporarily staying in the kingdom.

There is no difference in the validity of the visa whether it is a sticker or a stamp. The visa type and class is clearly stated on the sticker or stamp, e.g. Non-Immigrant Visa Class B for Business, Class ED for Education and O for other purposes.

Tourist Visa (TR): upon arrival, a stay of 60 days will be granted to anyone entering Thailand as a tourist.

Tourist Visa Exemption (Phor30 (ผ.30) or Phor90 (ผ.90)): entering Thailand for tourism purposes and permitted to stay for 30 or 90 days.

Visa on arrival: applying for a visa at the immigration checkpoint for tourism purposes not exceeding 15 days; extension of stay and changing visa type are not allowed.

*Those who hold TR, Phor30 (ผ30), Phor90 (ผ90), must contact the program of their affiliation or the Office of International Relations immediately to change the visa type.

Misunderstanding about permission to stay

The date of validity indicates that the visa must be utilized by entering Thailand within the period. Holders will receive an initial stay of 90 days from the date of arrival. They are required to extend their permission to stay after 90 days of their arrival at the Immigration Bureau. Please check the validity of your visa and get it renewed before the expiry date. You are recommended to contact the program of your affiliation in order to request an extension letter before going to the Immigration Bureau.

What if my visa is going to expire?

1 month before your visa expires, please contact your program with your passport and educational evidence, to request a letter for an extension of stay. This process usually takes a week.

Documents Required

Application form (TM.7)

Copy of the passport

1 passport photo (4 x 6 cm.)

1,900 Baht fee

Letter for an extension of stay from UBU

Educational evidence (such as a copy of your transcript, the certificate of admission or a student ID card)

NOTE: A fine of 500-Baht per day will be applied if a visa extension does not meet the expiry date deadline.

How to change my visa type?

Students who hold TR, Phor30 (ผ30), Phor90 (ผ90) need to contact their program along with their passport and educational evidence to request a letter for changing visa type.

Documents required

Application form (TM.86)

Copy of the passport

1 passport photo (4 x 6 cm.)

2,000 Baht fee

Request letter from UBU

Educational evidence

NOTE: The Immigration Bureau requires at least 15 days for visa validation.

Can I leave the country?

Yes you can but your visa will be canceled automatically once you leave the Kingdom of Thailand unless you have contacted the Immigration Bureau to apply for a Re-Entry Permit before you leave. This process can apply at Immigration Bureau in Donmuang and Suvannabhumi Airport.

Required documents

Application form (TM.8)

Copy of the passport

1 passport photo (4 x 6 cm.)

1,000 baht per a single / 3,800 baht per a multiple Re-Entry Permit